You can pick-up dinner, grab a coffee, do your banking and, at least in Las Vegas…get married all at the drive-thru! Customers value the convenience and speed of service of drive-thrus. Below, a list of criteria for auditing drive-thrus and making sure your guests always have a positive experience.
Methodology: This checklist was compiled from publicly available sources and moderated using industry research and our experience with the retail and service industries.
- Is the drive-thru lane easily located and clearly marked?
- Are the painted drive-thru lane arrows easily visible and clearly marked?
- Do the lights automatically come on after dusk and the lane well lit?
- Is all lane lighting in good working order?
- Is the drive-thru lane free of litter?
- Is a garbage container available prior to driving up to the menu boards?
- Are the garbage containers in good condition and not overflowing?
- Is the garbage can easy to access without getting out of the car?
- Is the drive-thru lane free of graffiti?
- Is the drive-thru lane free of damage to curbing?
- Is the drive-thru landscaping free from trash?
- Is the drive-thru landscaping free from dead plants and/or shrubs?
Drive-thru menu boards/signs
- Are all drive-thru menu boards/signs and speaker posts clean and in good condition?
- Are all drive-thru menu boards/signs and speaker free from dirt and mildew?
- Are all drive-thru menu boards/signs and speaker free from obvious cracks or damaged lenses?
- Are all drive-thru menu boards/signs and speaker free from visible tape and/or stickers?
- Are all drive-thru menu boards/signs and speaker free from handwritten signs?
- Is the menu board well lit?
- Are the menu board pictures well-presented and not faded?
- Is the speaker free from obvious visible damage?
- Is the pickup window clean and the area free of handwritten signs?
- Is the pickup window clean?
- Are all employees at the drive-thru window(s) appear presentable and in proper uniform?
- Are all employees at the drive-thru window(s) wearing a name tag?
- At the pickup window, is the cashier organized and efficient?
- Are you greeted politely, within 5 seconds after you stopped at the menu board speaker?
- At the speaker, are you offered an additional item and told about the current promotion?
- At the speaker, is the cashier repeating your order to confirm?
- After the order is confirmed, is the cashier giving you the total?
- After being given the total, are you asked to drive around to the window?
- At the pickup window, is the cashier smiling and repeating the correct total?
- Did you receive your order within 120 seconds of stopping at the pick-up window?
- How long did it take for you to receive your order? Minutes: ___ Seconds: ___
- Are you sincerely thanked when you were handed your order?
- Are each items of your order in the correct packaging?
- Are napkins included with your order?
- Is a receipt included with your order?
- Is the order free from spills and leaks?
- Is the order 100% accurate?