The parking industry is largely divided into two types: on-street parking and off-street parking. On-street parking is predominantly owned by municipalities while off-street parking is privately owned. Both types need to ensure lots are in good repair and compliant with regulations and customer expectations. Here is a sample Parking Lot Inspection Checklist to help you inspect the operations, maintenance and security of your lots.
- Is entrance signage clearly visible to passing cars?
- Signage is in good repair, clean, and well lit?
Parking lot entrance
- Is sidewalk and entryway free from obstruction and debris?
- Are all lot closure devices, (gates, semaphores) clearly visible?
- Auto open gates operate smoothly?
- Gates open automatically when approached for exit?
- Do gates open automatically upon power failure or alarm?
- Is vegetation trimmed away from walkways & entrances?
Parking lot markings
- Mirrors or STOP signs are posted at blind spots?
- Are directional signs posted, legible, and well lit?
- Lines & directional arrows are legible?
- Parking spaces designated?
- There are clearly marked designated pedestrian walkways?
- Are there clearly marked, designated handicapped parking spots?
- Handicap spots is 8 foot wide with 5 foot access aisle?
- Bumpers are less than 6.5 in height?
- Lot bumpers visible and easily identified?
- There are areas designated for motorcycles?
- Are there areas designated for bicycles?
- There are areas designated for electric vehicles?
- Is there a working charging station at every electric vehicle spot?
- Is the lot paved?
- The lot is free from tripping hazards?
- Is the lot free from pot-holes?
- Are ramp slopes of 1:15 minimum to 1:12 maximum provided?
- “Slip-resistant” surfaces are provided on island tops?
- Are “slip-resistant” surfaces provided on ramps?
- Are storm water control systems in place?
- Inlet grates are clear of debris? Marked No Dumping?
- Do drain covers provide adequate heel catch guarding?
- Is the parking lot clear of accumulation of standing water, snow, debris etc.?
- Are lots plowed as needed and salted or sanded?
- Is snow being piled in the designated snow piling area(s)?
Safety and security
- Are appropriate signs posted (e.g., no parking in fire routes, etc.)?
- If the lot is enclosed by a fence, is the fence-in free from holes and in good condition?
- Are lots routinely patrolled?
- Does the lot have lighting for nighttime operations?
- Are any light poles cracking at the steel base plate?
- All of the lights are functioning?
- Is the parking lot free from dark areas that require additional lighting? (check after dark)
- The lot is monitored by Closed Circuit TV cameras?
- Are there emergency call boxes in place and working?
- Is the property kept clear of litter, combustibles, hazardous materials, old batteries, etc.?
- Are the fire department hose connections kept clear, accessible and have caps?
- Is the lot free from obviously abandoned vehicles and bicycles?
Stairs and elevators
- Are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear and unobstructed?
- In winter, are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear from ice and snow?
- Stairways are adequately lit?
- Are stairs, treads, hand rails, and any guards secure and in good condition?
- Elevators are maintained and in good working order?
- Are elevator maintenance certificates up to date?
- Are pay stations clearly marked and well lit?
- Pay are stations in good working order and accept all designated methods of payment?
- Is the pay station regularly serviced?
- Staff are in appropriate uniform?
- Are staff adhering to equipment maintenance schedule?
- Staff keep equipment maintenance reports and records up to date?
- Fire plan and emergency numbers are displayed in staff area?
- Is the first-aid kit stocked and accessible?
- All required insurance and safety certificates are displayed in staff area?
- Are staff office and restrooms clean and free from clutter?
- Has staff recorded and reported all accidents?
- Do staff adhere to cash collection and deposit procedures?
Compliant IA is a complete inspection and store communication platform running on mobile, tablets, and laptops. It combines task management, social collaboration, smart checklists, action plans and photo verification to ensure programs are communicated and executed on time, in full, in all locations.