The parking industry is largely divided into two types: on-street parking and off-street parking. On-street parking is predominantly owned by municipalities while off-street parking is privately owned. Below, a list of criteria for auditing private parking lots for maintenance and security to ensure your customer has a positive experience.
- Is entrance signage clearly visible to passing cars?
- Is signage in good repair, clean, and well lit?
Parking lot entrance
- Is sidewalk and entryway free from obstruction and debris?
- Are all lot closure devices, (gates, semaphores) clearly visible?
- Do auto open gates operate smoothly?
- Do gates open automatically when approached for exit?
- Do gates open automatically upon power failure or alarm?
- Is vegetation trimmed away from walkways & entrances?
Parking lot markings
- Are mirrors or STOP signs posted at blind spots?
- Are directional signs posted, legible, and well lit?
- Are lines & directional arrows legible?
- Are parking spaces designated?
- Are there clearly marked designated pedestrian walkways?
- Are there clearly marked, designated handicapped parking spots?
- Are handicap spots 8 foot wide with 5 foot access aisle?
- Lot bumpers are less than 6.5 in height?
- Lot bumpers visible and easily identified?
- Are there areas designated for motorcycles?
- Are there areas designated for bicycles?
- Are there areas designated for electric vehicles?
- Is there a working charging station at every electric vehicle spot?
- Is the lot paved?
- Is the lot free from tripping hazards?
- Is the lot free from pot-holes?
- Are ramp slopes of 1:15 minimum to 1:12 maximum provided?
- Are “slip-resistant” surfaces provided on island tops?
- Are “slip-resistant” surfaces provided on ramps?
- Are storm water control systems in place?
- Are inlet grates clear of debris? Marked No Dumping?
- Do drain covers provide adequate heel catch guarding?
- Is the parking lot clear of accumulation of standing water, snow, debris etc.?
- Are lots plowed as needed and salted or sanded?
- Is snow being piled in the designated snow piling area(s)?
Safety and security
- Are appropriate signs posted (e.g., no parking in fire routes, etc.)?
- If the lot is enclosed by a fence, is the fence-in free from holes and in good condition?
- Are lots routinely patrolled?
- Does the lot have lighting for nighttime operations?
- Are any light poles cracking at the steel base plate?
- Are all of the lights functioning?
- Is the parking lot free from dark areas that require additional lighting? (check after dark)
- Is the lot monitored by Closed Circuit TV cameras?
- Are there emergency call boxes in place and working?
- Is the property kept clear of litter, combustibles, hazardous materials, old batteries, etc.?
- Are the fire department hose connections kept clear, accessible and have caps?
- Is the lot free from obviously abandoned vehicles and bicycles?
Stairs and elevators
- Are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear and unobstructed?
- In winter, are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear from ice and snow?
- Are stairways adequately lit?
- Are stairs, treads, hand rails, and any guards secure and in good condition?
- Are elevators maintained and in good working order?
- Are elevator maintenance certificates up to date?
- Are pay stations clearly marked and well lit?
- Are pay stations in good working order and accept all designated methods of payment?
- Is the pay station regularly serviced?
- Are staff in appropriate uniform?
- Are staff adhering to equipment maintenance schedule?
- Are staff keeping equipment maintenance reports and records up to date?
- Are the fire plan and emergency numbers displayed in staff area?
- Is the first-aid kit stocked and accessible?
- Are all required insurance and safety certificates displayed in staff area?
- Are staff office and restrooms clean and free from clutter?
- Has staff recorded and reported all accidents?
- Do staff adhere to cash collection and deposit procedures?
Compliant IA is a complete retail execution and store communication platform. It runs on smartphones, tablets, and laptops. It combines task management, social collaboration, smart checklists, action plans and photo verification to ensure store programs are communicated and executed in time, in full, in all locations.