Use this sample checklist to create or update store standards or operations programs across your retail locations.
- On a scale of one to ten; how presentable is the store?
- Are carts or baskets available near the door?
- Aisles are free of obstructions?
- Aisles/sections are appropriately labeled?
- A sales associate is easy to locate if assistance is needed?
- Current sales signage up?
- Signage and props in like new condition?
- Store lighting optimized with no burnt-out bulbs?
- Is store shelving, countertops and product dust free?
- Are shelves fully stocked, but not cluttered?
- Is garbage and recycling taken out nightly?
- Is the public washroom clean (if applicable)?
- Is seasonal product on display?
- Is product restocked completely at regular intervals?
- When was the last restock completed?
- Is product appropriately organized by size/brand/etc.?
- Is every item priced with a hang tag or barcode? Check 3 items in each section.
- Discounted or sales product is clearly marked?
- Product packaging sealed, clean and free of damage?
- Are lines moving efficiently?
- Cash wrap is free of personal effects and extra money?
- Flyers/cards/print collateral are readily available for customers to take?
- Regular deposits are being made?
- Does deposit slip have required signature?
- Overages/Shortages are recorded?
- When was the date of the last cash audit?
- Holds greater than 7 days are cleared or converted?
- Did the staff greet customers?
- How long did it take for an employee to greet you when entering the location?
- Was the service satisfactory?
- Please comment on employee interactions with customers. Review service standards if needed.
- Was the retail associate aware of the current promotion? Note name of the associate.
- Ask one employee to detail customer service standards. Provide details about your discussion.
- All staff are signing in and out, or logging hours according to company policy?
- Are there missing punches?
- Are all schedules posted and up to date?
- When was the last date of employee training?
- Interview any newly trained employees. Record any employee follow-up questions to training.
- What was the date of the last staff meeting?
- When is the next staff meeting scheduled?
- Did you identify any coaching opportunities while in store? Provide details.
- Is the office clean and free of clutter?
- Is the employee shared space free of clutter or food?
- Do staff know where to store personal effects?
- Is the staff fridge clean?
- Is the sink free of dishes?
- Is the employee bathroom clean?
More checklists to improve your store merchandising, loss prevention and operations standards:
- Merchandising Checklist
- Loss Prevention Checklist
- Health and Safety Checklist
Compliant IA is the leading retail audit platform. It runs on smartphones, tablets, and laptops. Field managers and stores use the app to complete smart checklists at store-level, take photos, and assign tasks with automated reminders. Head office can ensure programs are deployed in time, in full, everywhere.