As movie theaters prepare to welcome guests post COVID-19, it is critical to have flawless execution of the guest experience. Cleanliness and sanitation will be front and center in consumers’ minds. While deep cleaning and sanitization take place after closing and before opening, using a movie theater cleaning checklist to reinforce cleaning, sanitation, and service standards during opening hours ensures theaters meet guest expectations.
Using a movie theater cleaning checklist communicates and enforces essential standards and policies across all theaters. When issues are found, assign corrective actions to ensure they are resolved before issues negatively influence the guest experience, the theater’s reputation, and bottom line.
Movie Theater Parking Area
- Ensure parking entrance has appropriate signage.
- Clear away any debris from parking areas. Check lot after peak periods. Remove and empty trash.
- See that parking lines and directional arrows are legible.
- Inspect lighting. See that all lighting is working and there are no dark corners.
- Ensure there are clearly marked pedestrian walkways.
- Clearly mark handicapped parking spaces.
- Keep all fire lanes clear.
- See that pickup and drop off areas are safety moving during peak periods.
- Check daily for unauthorized vehicles.
Movie Theater Exterior
- Ensure theater name signage is lit and visible to passing cars and pedestrians.
- Inspect coming soon and now showing posters. They should be in good repair, no vandalism. Replace any burnt out bulbs.
- Examine flower bed, containers, and landscaping to make sure it is neat and free from garbage, dead plants, and overgrown areas.
- Ensure building is well lit from all sides.
- Check that all emergency exits, landings, and steps from the building are marked, unblocked, and kept in good condition.
- Make certain fire department connections are kept clear, accessible, and have caps.
- In winter, clear roof area over entrances/exits from falling ices/snow hazards.
- Empty garbage containers. Ensure containers are in good repair. Wipe any smudges and dirt.
For more, see this sample Exterior Area Checklist.
Movie Theater Entrance and Lobby
- Wipe entrance way glass and doors to remove dirt and smudges. Dust window ledges.
- Sanitize door touchpoints regularly.
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop entrance and lobby floors after peak periods.
- Keep vacuum and mop bucket on hand for spot cleaning as needed. Keep both out of customer sight.
- Empty lobby garbage and spot clean exterior of garbage bins.
Ticket Counter and Automated Ticket Machines
- Wipe and tidy counter. Remove employee personal effects.
- Regularly sanitize surfaces including POS.
- Use dust cloth for monitors and keyboards.
- Sanitize touchpoints for self-serve ticket machines. Use dust cloth for screens.
Movie Theater Concessions
- Vacuum/mop area in front of concession after peak periods.
- Regularly sanitize all surfaces including counters, POS, shared serving equipment, food prep areas, and dispenser handles.
- Wipe down soda machines to avoid build up or residue.
- Remove smudges and clean all glass including snack displays.
- Check dispensers for build-up and regularly sanitize.
- Follow first in, first out for all food rotation.
- Check food holding temperatures.
- Regularly check refrigerator temperatures.
- Review food expiration dates daily.
- Dust and sanitize cup, lid, and other holders.
- Ensure hand washing area is stocked with soap and sanitizer.
- Use gloves or utensils to handle ready to eat food.
- Ensure employees are trained on food safety and food handling.
Movie Theater Condiment Bars
- Assign one staff member per shift to be responsible for restocking and spot cleaning condiment bar.
- During peak periods, check condiment bar every 10 minutes.
- Wipe down and sanitize all surfaces and shared dispenser handles.
- Empty garbage.
- Restock condiments and napkins.
- Check seats, under seats and aisles for debris.
- Spot clean/sanitize seats, arm rests, cup holders.
- Empty garbage and spot clean garbage bin exterior.
- Sweep/vacuum/spot mop floors and carpets. Check for spills and clean accordingly.
- Wipe interior and exterior of auditorium doors. Sanitize touchpoints.
Movie Theater Washrooms
- Check lighting and replace any burnt out bulbs.
- Clean and sanitize toilet seats, bowls, and stall walls and doors.
- Wipe down and sanitize counters and sinks.
- Refill toilet paper, paper towels, soap, and hand sanitizer.
- Check restrooms before and after peak periods.
For more, see this Washroom Inspection Checklist.