The cannabis retail checklist ensures that your dispensaries have the right processes and systems in place and meet regulatory, community and health and safety standards.
Regulations do vary between US states and Canadian provinces. So this checklist is meant to help you get started in building a core collection of critical areas to inspect in your locations.
- Signage conforms to provincial / state law
- Legally required door and window displays are present and visible
- Location zoned for cannabis activity in accordance with provincial / state law
- No smoking of product is done inside or outside premise
- Receiving area is locked and secured when not in use
- Cameras are in working order
- Required signs are posted
- Any advertising or signage conforms to provincial / state law
- Retailer license clearly displayed
- Staff have a clear line of sight to all areas of the location to prevent use by minors and other prohibited individuals
- Adequate lighting within all areas of the store
- List of products and prices available
- Literature holders are well stocked
- All interior security cameras are working
- All local permits up to date and accessible
- Provincial/ state permits are up to date and accessible
- Purchase limits set within provincial / state law
- Are you able to provide all required business documentation at any time?
- Is the commercial general liability insurance up to date?
- Description of screening and validation process for customers available
- Products are verified and dispensed according to regulatory standards
- Edibles are of a standard serving size as per provincial/ state restrictions
- Clear labeling of amount of THC listed on packages
- Child-resistant, opaque and resealable packaging
- Hazardous materials storage, handling and disposal plan in place
- Presence of a working alarmed security system that provides an auxiliary source of power and signals
- All employees have a unique alarm code
- Sensors for motion /breaking glass and/or vibration
- Doors are secured
- Retailer complies with provincial / state law to not sell product to:
- Intoxicated individuals
- Product safely locked away
- Inventory adheres to provincial/ state limits
- Safe is secured to floor
- Safe is out of sight
- Employees have unique safe codes
- Safe codes are changed regularly
- Proper product rotation and storage maintained for quality
- Follow opening and closing protocols
- Have adequate product training
- Have had criminal background checks if necessary in the province/ state
- Are aware of current state/provincial laws and restrictions
- Offer a consultation to every customer
- Check ID for every customer to ensure legal age
- Know cannabis impairment in the workplace is not permitted
- Inform tourists who purchase cannabis of their rights and obligations, especially with respect to travel outside of state / province
If you are looking for checklists to manage your operations and brand standards, you have two options.
- Register for a free trial of Compliant IA and get access to a library of professionally vetted public forms you can use to audit your locations in seconds.
- Refer to our checklists category of more than 33 checklists to manage every aspect of your operations.